Luke 12 begins with Jesus instructing his disciples. He loved His disciples, they gave everything they had to follow Him. The direction that Jesus chose to give to those he loved so much is the same direction He wants us to follow. Jesus gives us hope, purpose and salvation and in Luke 12 1-12 He encourages us to:
- Guard yourself against hypocrisy. Hypocrisy spreads like wildfire (Jesus actually compares it to yeast), it rises, it falls, it puffs up.
- Guard your words. The truth always comes out. What you say in darkness will echo in the light. Nothing stays hidden so be truthful, rely on the truth, wait on the truth.
- Guard your priorities. Be faithful. “Whether men will hear, or whether they will forbear, tell them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth; what has been spoken to you, and you have talked of among yourselves, privately, and in corners, that do you preach publicly, whoever is offended; for, if you please men, you are not Christ’s servants, nor can you please him,” Gal. 1:10.
- Guard your emotions. Do not be afraid. The power of your enemies is limited power. You are a friend of Christ, you do not have any need to fear your enemies. They are powerless over you- you are redeemed, and salvation is yours to claim.
- Guard each other. Encourage others, encourage their relationship with God. God loves us, watches over us, protects us, and provides for us- even the very small and fragile sparrow. If He will do that for the sparrow, how much more will He do for you? How can your words change someone’s path by lighting it up and leading them to the Light?
- Guard your experiences. Whatever trials they should be called out to, they should be sufficiently furnished for them, and honorably brought through them (Luke 12:11, 12).
Tomorrow we’ll finish Luke 12 and focus on Jesus’ directive not to worry. Practice it today…every time worry creeps in, shut it down and just say Jesus. There is power in the Name!
Whisper it now, or shout it out
However it comes out, He hears your cry
Out of nowhere He will come, you got to believe it
He will rescue you
Just call out to the Way, The Truth, The Light. -Lyrics from Just Say Jesus