But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. (Jude 1:20)
In this verse Jude gives us the instruction manual for perseverance, the how-to, the nuts and bolts, the basic 4-step process to perseverance.
- Build yourself up in your most holy faith
- Pray in the Holy Spirit
- Keep yourself in God’s love
- Wait on the mercy of Jesus
Last week we laid the foundation of step 1, knowing God and refusing to worry. We built on that foundation by learning about step 2, praying in the Spirit. Let’s continue to build the basic-4 of perseverance by recognizing how we keep ourselves in God’s love. We do this by:
1. Recognize that NOTHING can separate you from God’s love. “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:37-39)
2. Acknowledge that His plans for your life are good. The experiences that you endure may not seem good, by our definition, but every experience is ordained by Him for good. Nothing happens to us that surprises God. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
3. Remember that in God’s love there is no room for fear. “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.” (1 John 4:18)
We keep ourselves in God’s love when we stay on His path, refuse to be moved, and cling to the truth. We keep ourselves in God’s love when we rest in His Presence.
“Rest in My Presence when you need refreshment. I want you to lean on, trust, and be confident in Me. When you lean on Me for support, I delight in your thirsty confidence. As I spoke through My prophet Isaiah: “In returning to Me and resting in Me you shall be saved; in quietness and trust I shall be your strength.” From Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young
To read more about the topics in the blog post: click here to read about building yourself up in the most holy faith, click here to read about how to pray in the Holy Spirit click here to read about staying on the ancient path